5 Ways to Find the Perfect Mentor (for You and Your Child!)
January is National Mentoring Month and the perfect time to start looking for a caring adult to act as a mentor to your child. If your child already has a mentor, consider finding a parenting mentor of your own to help out when you need a second opinion. Here are five tips from ParentFurther to get you started:
- Help find natural mentors for children. Introduce them to people you like and respect, and support positive relationships that develop naturally.
- Look into a formal mentoring program. You may be able to find one through your child's school or a community organization. Many programs can match kids with an adult who will be a supporter and friend for years to come.
- Find a mentor for your child who has similar interests. Do you know someone you can bring into a mentoring relationship with your child who shares your child's spark? A colleague? Music instructor? Your child's employer?
- Know that sometimes it can take time to find a good mentoring relationship. Don't become discouraged if the first relationship doesn't click. Keep looking for a mentor for your child until you find a good fit.
- Find and connect with parents who have children who are older than yours. See if any of them have sage advice about parenting. You can develop long-lasting relationships with other parents, and parents who have older kids often can become your parent mentor--even if no one uses the word mentor.
If you would like to learn more about connecting your child with a mentor or becoming a mentor yourself, join us January 28, 2014, at 12PM - 1PM CST for Mentoring Youth: Tips for Getting Started and Staying Motivated, a free webinar hosted by national mentoring expert Gail Manza.
In this webinar participants will learn about:
- the benefits of youth mentoring
- the differences between formal and informal mentoring
- factors that contribute to effective mentoring
- how to start or connect with a mentoring program
- follow-up resources to find a mentoring program near you
Register now >>